On average, 45% of the water we use goes to outdoor irrigation. Rainwater is not only free, it's salt-free and a good source of water for all of our plants. When we harvest rainwater, we conserve our drinking water and save money on our water bill.
Tucson Water will rebate qualifying residential rainwater harvesting system costs under two levels of funding up to a maximum of $2,000. Tucson Water customers can decide which funding level to apply for based on the amount of rainwater they aim to capture onsite and the type of practice they want to implement. Applicants may apply for both a passive and an active rebate not exceeding $2,000 for the combination. More information is available on our Incentive Levels page.
Applicants must attend an approved Rainwater Harvesting Incentives Program Workshop to qualify for the rebate program. The workshop has information on residential rainwater harvesting and the qualification requirements for the rebate. If you have questions, call Tucson Water's Public Information / Conservation Office (PICO) at (520) 791-4331 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternative Water Source Irrigation System & Backflow Prevention Requirements
Use of an irrigation system that is pressurized with any kind of pump must have a reduced pressure principle assembly (RPA) installed at the service connection to protect the public water system from potential contamination. For more information on backflow assembly requirements for alternative water sources (rainwater and gray water irrigation systems), download "Rainwater and Gray Water Irrigation Systems" , visit the Backflow Prevention web page, or call (520) 791-2650.
Rainwater Harvesting Program Resources:
- Rainwater Harvesting Rebate Program brochure - English
- Rainwater Harvesting Rebate Program brochure - Spanish
- Rebate application and policy - Systems purchased/installed before 6/1/13
- Rebate application and policy - Systems purchased/installed after 6/1/13
- Rebate application and policy - Spanish
- Most Requested Information
- Harvesting Rainwater: A Guide to Water-Efficient Landscaping
- Rainwater Harvesting and Gray Water Reuse Resources
Rainwater Harvesting Program Videos:
- "Examples of Rainwater Harvesting"
- Ad: "Rainwater Harvesting Rebates Up to $2,000"
- Program information (English)
- Program information (Spanish)
Rainwater Harvesting Program Workshops (free):